We carry out routine equine work at Ystwyth Vets and provide a wide range of services . We can visit your premises, and we also have facilities at the practice, which permits safe handling for certain procedures.
We offer our clients our own 24/7 emergency cover, and with two vets always on call, you will not have to wait long to see a vet in an emergency.
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Facilities & services
- Stocks and stable
- Portable xray machine and digital radiography
- In-house laboratory for same day results on blood and urine tests
- External laboratory submissions as required
- Endoscope (for airway investigation)
- Ultrasound for reproduction work
- Dental equipment (rasps, power float etc) for extensive dental work and dental surgery
- Lameness. We have a large, flat area at the carpark for lameness workups
- Pre-Purchase Examination
- Laser physiotherapy treatment
Passport identification and microchipping
All foals are required by law to be microchipped within 6 months of birth or by 31st December of the year of birth, whichever is later.
All horses are required to have a passport, and horses born since 2009 are also required to have a microchip inserted. These are legal requirements. Please contact the practice to discuss this with any of our vets.
Ultrasound and reproduction
We perform standing castrations at your property. This is a surgical procedure, and there are certain risks involved and precautions to maintain. Please discuss this with our vets for detailed infor-mation.
We do rig surgery, under general anaesthesia, in the field.
Procedures requiring general anaesthesia
Flu vaccinations are recommended according to the following protocol:
- Primary course 2 injections 4-6 weeks apart
- First booster 6 months later
- Subsequent boosters at 12 month intervals.
Jockey club rules for competition horses are as follows:
- Primary course 2 injections 21- 92 days apart
- First booster 150-215 days later
- Annual boosters within 265 days of the previous booster
Tetanus is recommended once every 2 -3 years following its inclusion in the primary course.